Thursday, October 30, 2014

E.l.f Review: Contouring Blush & Bronzing Cream + Quick tutorial.

A few weeks ago I went on an E.l.f splurge and got some really great products. I haven't tried them all, but the few I have will definitely be a repurchase for me. So expect many more reviews to come!

I have to say though, for being such a cheap makeup brand, E.L.F has some pretty dang good hg products. Of course they have their "misses", as does every brand. But their Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Cream is most definitely a new hg for me! 


Now, let's get on to the review!

(E.l.f Contouring Blush & Bronzing Cream in St. Lucia)

From E.l.f's Site:

Details: 

$3

"Ideal for all skin types, this dual cream bronzer and blush creates a sheer, natural wash of color on the skin. The lightweight cream-to-powder formula provides extended wear and allows you to layer for desired intensity. Sculpt eyes, cheeks, lips, body and anywhere you wish to highlight and contour with the rich cream formula."

How to:

"Apply a small amount of the Bronzer with fingers or a sponge to the hollows of the cheeks for definition and around the face line to create a healthy glow. Blush on the apples of the cheeks to create a subtle healthy glow. Blend and build coverage for ideal color."



E.l.f packaging is very similar to Nars. Expect with hard plastic versus a soft matte feel. Does that make sence? I like it though, I feel it adds a classy touch. Not like childs play makeup, considering the price. It's lightweight, without feeling cheap, and perfect for travel. Especially with a mirror as big as the compact!

Also, accoding to some others from the beauty community, the powder version of this, also in St. lucia, is said to be a dupe for Nar's Blush and Bronzing duo in Laguna & Orgasm. Since I don't own any Nars products, I can't say for myself. But from seeing online comparisons, I would believe so. Nars being more pigmented though, ofcourse.

Swatches:


As you can see, they are most certainly very VERY creamy! It feels so lovely to touch. And the colors are gorgeous!

I was really impressed with how true to color these were to what's in the pan. Don't be scared though! The bronzer blends out very beautifuly, into a nice sheer finish. And it is build-able. I know by looking at how pigmented they are, you probably think I'm crazy. But you will see what I am talking about, so stay with me!


The blush is a very pretty peachy-pink color. While the bronzer is a nice bronzy brown? Color. I'm not good at dicifering undertones, so correct me if I'm wrong. But I feel like there are no red or organgy undertones, so you won't have to worry about this making you look orange or even muddy for this with fair complexions.

Another plus, no shimmer! However, E.l.f claims this is a cream-to-powder finish, but I wouldn't say that that's entirely true. When it dries, it does SEEM matte, but in my opinion and on my skin (remember we all have different skin type, so your experience with this may or may not be different from mine), it seems more of a velvety satin finish. But still a lovely duo none the less! 

Wearability:

As you know, I have super oily skin. So depending on your skin type, that may affect how long you are able to wear this before it fades. I was able to get about 5 1/2 hours on it's own, and about 6 1/2 - 7 hours with a setting powder. For being super oily, that's really not that bad. And cream bluses do tend to last longer then pressed or powder.

Tutorial:

I decided to add a quick tutorial so you can see the full effect in action! Now, I literally only did my makeup for this, so I have no mascara or anything. So don't mind my makeup makeup-less face!


To start, I don't like to dip a brush in this product because it is cream, and I tend to always have a gaping chunch missing. Nice. So I just use my (clean) finger, and dot around my face where I would like to contour, or draw attention "away from".


I typically like to contour around my temples, forhead, the hollows of my cheeks and the sides of my nose to make it appear smaller. And whatever is left on my finger I will lightly dot the sides of my jaw line. 


To blend out the bronzer, I used my Real Techniques Contour Brush. 


 

After it's all blended, you can see that it's really not thay scary, and definitely build-able! I don't like a lot of color, so layering isn't necessary for me. In the first picture, you can better see the shadow it creates on the side of my nose.


For the blush, I do the same thing and apply with my fingers, and blend with a brush. 


And this is what the finished (or somewhat finished) face looks like!

My Overall Thoughs/Opinions:

 I loved the packaging. Very classy, and sturdy. 
Great for travel, good sized mirror.
Both the blush and bronzer are rich in pigmentation, yet applies sheer enough allowing you to build up to the amount you want.
 Super creamy. Seriously blends like a dream!
 Last several hours on my super oily skin!
No shimmers, but (for me) does not dry to a matte finish like E.l.f claims.
 I definitely would recommend to everyone to try it at least once. For $3, what can it hurt?(;

That's it for todays review, thank you for reading!

Have you tried any of the Blush & Bronzer
Duos by E.l.f? If so, which one 
and how did you like it?!















7 comments:

  1. Wow I am so jealous! This creamy duo looks sooo good and for $3 I will without a doubt be purchasing it when I'm back in the States. The finished look looks really good. I've never tried any creamy products, now I'm excited! I love your reviews, they are so honest, and your layout is so easy to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!! And you most definitely should and l hope you love it as much as I do! I love reading other peoples blogs when you can feel their true admiration, or dislike for something without trying to sell you something! Lol Honesty is the best policy. No matter what it is!(:

      Delete
  2. That bronzer looks great on you!! I haven't tried the cream version of this, but I do have the powder one. The cream Bronzer looks more pigmented that my powder one. I think cream products scare me because I have a habit of putting setting powder on right after my foundation and the cream wi look funny over the powder lol! The blush looks really nice on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is more pigmented! And there's no shimmer like the powders one have! This was one of the first cream products I tried. I had a cream blush from the Maybelline's Bouncy line(?), and I had no Idea how to use it, or anything. But I gave it another chance and now I really love them! As for setting powders, I find using a kabuki brush with either the rimmel stay matte powder, or the e.l.f hd powder works really well to keep everything looking nice(:

      Delete
    2. I use the Rimmel stay matte powder too!! So you do use the cream products first and then use the setting powder last?

      Delete
    3. Yes! Depending on the pigmentation of cream products, I'll use them under or over my foundation. I haven't been using a setting powder lately, but when I do use one I'll set the cream after when I set everything else. Alsom if you use a pressed or powder blush over it, it helps it lasts longer! But since bronzers are darker, I usually, sey withba powder versus using a powder bronzer over so the color doesn't look tooo intense or organe on me.

      Delete
  3. Hey Hillary I've nominated your for the Liebster Blog Awards Challenge. Look at my post here for more information :) http://mythoughtsviewsandvalues.blogspot.ie/2014/11/the-liebster-award-challenge.html

    Hope you like it :)

    ReplyDelete