Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Fall Favorite: Coconut Oil

Usually around Fall and Winter, I like to do what I can to really bring my hair back to life. Even though I do not use heat on my hair what so ever, it is damaged from hair dyes. This time of year as we all know, is a lot colder than the Summer months. So you can probably imagine the drastic changes our locks have to get used too as the season changes (especially if you're from New England. The weather doesn't know if it's coming or going.)

 I have long, dry, curly, very thin hair. But I have a lot of it. And as previously stated, it is dyed. My hair is also prone to breakage and split ends (sigh). 

Another bummer to add, my hair is low porosity. What does that mean? Well, basically, my hair has a hard time absorbing moisture, or any products. Knowing your hairs porosity is really helpful in terms of caring for it and getting the most out of your styling products. That's a whole other post on it's own though. If you're interested and would like a separate post, let me know in the comments!

So, how do I bring my hair back to life during these colder months? Two words. COCONUT OIL! 



Coconut oil has a ton of different uses, but my favorite is using it as a hair mask/hot oil treatment. I usually do a hot oil treatment every other week, but since this year my hair has become really dry, I like to do it every week. 


Depending on your hair and your preference, you can either use the heat from your hands to melt it, then apply; OR, you can scoop some into a microwave safe bowl and heat for a hot oil treatment. Since my hair is low porosity, I typically heat it up so the heat from the oil helps open up the cuticle and absord more easily. 

What's really great about coconut oil, it's the only oil that can actually enter the cortext (the inner part of the hair) and help your hair from the inside out. Literally! By being able to penetrate the cortext, it can help improve it's strength and flexibility. Which means less breakage and split ends! Awesome right? 

Now on to the fun part. 
Application


Split your hair in half.



-
*Don't mind my dirty shirt.. I just got out of work.


To your preference; brush, finger comb, or use a natural boar bristle brush to brush out any tangles. **Remember to always start from the bottom up!

I personally prefer using either my fingers or a boar bristle brush. Using a boar bristle brush does take longer be warned, but it's much better than a normal brush as it won't pull or cause more breakage. Especially because the bristles help evenly distribute your natural oils from root to tip. It takes me about 25-30 minutes to thoroughly brush through my hair, doing small sections at a time. Any natural boar bristle brush will do. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for around $2 and some change. However, if you're really not patient enough for that, by all means, you can use what ever brush you'd like.


After you've brushed through your hair, separate your hair into four sections. Clip or tie the front two sections on top of your head, leaving the back two down. 


Take about 1/2" to an 1" section of hair.



Grab your oil (about a tsp per section, more if needed) either hot or melted in your hand and slather evenly from root to tip. Mid shaft if you don't want to go up to your roots. This is generally how much I use for all of my hair in total. Still following about a tsp per section.


Once you have the back two sections done, bring down the front two and continue.



And lastly, it's time to wrap it up!


You can either use a plastic bag like I did or a towel. Either or helps to lock in the heat from your scalp, and really get the job done! You can let it sit for 20minutes to a few hours, or even overnight. Tonight, I'm just going to let it sit for a few hours then wash it out. 


Now, when it comes time to wash out, most people use shampoo. But fortunately, if you're no-poo or low-poo like myself, I did a ton of research and found that you can infact use just conditioner (silicone and paraben free) to rinse out the coconut oil.

 If for some reason however, that that doesn't work for you, you can add a bit of shampoo afterwards. Or you could skip the conditioner all together and only use shampoo. Again, your personal preference. Which ever way you choose, you may have to repeat as the coconut oil can be stubborn. Be sure to get as much out as possible, if not all. Leaving a little in your hair is okay, as it will act as a leave in. But too much will weigh your hair down.

And that is how you add coconut oil to your hair, and bring your hair back to life this fall! I know this was different from my usual posts, but I hope you all enjoyed. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

How will you bring your hair back to life
during the colder months?
Would you like to see more hair posts in the future?
Let me know your thoughts!(:



4 comments:

  1. I really like your hair :) I heard coconut oil is great for so many things. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've heard it is too, especially for your fave. But I'm too nervous to try that just yet! Lol

      Delete
  2. Great post Hillary!! I love coconut oil, but I have never used it on my hair! I use it on my face sometimes as a moisturizer when its feeling extra dry this time of year! I want to try it on my hair because it's super dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely give it a try, after the first time you notice a difference immediately!! Your hair is super soft and shiny and feels utterly amazing! Lol I've never tried it on my before though, but I've heard it's also great for taking off your eye makeup!

      Delete